From 24 February
- Removal of the legal requirement to self-isolate following a positive test. In its place, those testing positive will be advised to stay at home and avoid contact with other people for at least 5 full days and then continue to follow the guidance until they have received 2 negative test results on consecutive days. The Government’s strategy document states that employers and workers should follow this guidance for those with COVID-19.
- Removal of the guidance for vaccinated close contacts to take daily tests for 7 days and removal of the legal requirement for close contacts who are not fully vaccinated to self-isolate, with new guidance in place detailing precautions close contacts should take.
From 24 March
- Removal of the COVID-19 specific provisions relating to Statutory Sick Pay (SSP), following the closure of the SSP rebate scheme on 17 March.
From 1 April
- Updated guidance on minimising contact with others to be issued for those who test positive.
- The end of free universal testing. Some free testing will continue to be available to certain at-risk groups and social care staff.
- The existing set of ‘Working Safely’ guidance to be replaced with new public health guidance.
- Removal of the health and safety requirement for every employer to explicitly consider COVID-19 in their risk assessments (although this change will not apply to employers who specifically work with COVID-19, such as laboratories).
This provides summary information and comment on the subject areas covered. Where employment tribunal and appellate court cases are reported, the information does not set out all of the facts, the legal arguments presented and the judgments made in every aspect of the case. Employment law is subject to constant change either by statute or by interpretation by the courts. While every care has been taken in compiling this information, we cannot be held responsible for any errors or omissions. Specialist legal advice must be taken on any legal issues that may arise before embarking upon any formal course of action.